Athletics During COVID-19 Restrictions
From the Athletic Director
On July 29, 2020, the Fairchester Athletic Association released the following statement: “In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the differing return-to-school plans and academic models for our member schools, it is with a heavy heart that we share that Fairchester Athletic Association (FAA) conference competition for fall sports has been canceled for 2020. This includes the FAA regular season and tournament championships.”
This decision to cancel conference competition does not preclude GFA from scheduling interscholastic opportunities between and among like schools if able. We recognize the importance of athletics, physical activity, competition, and community involvement and fully intend to provide an Upper School athletic program that includes interscholastic competition and the appropriate skill-building practices and fitness training to prepare our student-athletes for such.
Of course, knowing that we are living in very uncertain times, the health and welfare of our students, coaches, and staff will always be our first priority. In addition, it goes without saying that all of our training and competitions against other schools would be conducted in adherence with guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other state and local agencies.
The planning for this unprecedented season is, as you can imagine, a work-in-progress and one that my Athletics team and I will be working on over the coming months. Please know that we are committed to delivering the best athletics experience possible for our student-athletes under the circumstances, starting with our pre-season practices on Monday, August 24 — albeit with some modifications that we are working on.
Thank you for your support as we continue to strive for excellence in the classroom and on the athletic fields.
GFA Athletic Director
- Will Upper School students practice every day?
- Will any interscholastic games be played, and if so when?
- What will transportation look like?
- Will eighth graders be allowed to try out for a varsity team?
- Will the locker rooms be open for students to change?
- What protocols will be put in place to monitor athletes’ health before games?
- What will be the protocol be for cleaning equipment and facilities?
- Will the current athletic requirement change for the 2020-21 academic year?
- Will the Independent Study still be available this year?