History of GFA

1925: Mrs. Bolton's School for Girls (Bolton) opens on Church Lane with four students. Mary Bolton is the first head of school.
1926: Kathleen Laycock, Mary Bolton’s sister, arrives to help run the school. Bolton moves to East State Street.
1929: Bolton moves again to King’s Highway and Wilton Road.
1936: Bolton expands through Grade 12, and the first seniors graduate.

1950: Bolton celebrates its 25th anniversary.
1957: Mrs. Bolton retains ownership of the nursery and lower school on Wilton Road; Miss Laycock incorporates Grades 6-12 as the Kathleen Laycock Country Day School (Laycock), where she serves as headmistress.
1959: The school purchases and renovates the Vanderbilt estate at 35 Beachside Avenue. In November, 71 students and 9 faculty move in.
1960: Mrs. Bolton agrees to incorporate her lower school. Grades 1-5 move to Beachside Avenue, and Laycock now serves girls Grades 1-12.

1963: Miss Laycock retires; William Posey is named the third head of school.
1964: Nancy Lauber ’51, is named the fourth head of school. Enrollment stands at around 250, students with 30 faculty members.
1970: The Board of Trustees votes to become coeducational school; 23 boys are admitted. The school is renamed to Greens Farms Academy (GFA).
1971: Boys are enrolled in all grades for the first time.
1972: Jim Coyle is named the fifth head of school. The campus begins a period of rapid growth, with new academic wings, a library, language labs, computer rooms, and a large gymnasium added.

1975: GFA celebrates its 50th anniversary.
1981-88: Key facilities are added: Gillian Scholey Colhoun Library (1981), Bernhard Academic Wing (1982), tennis courts and a new playing field (1985), The Lynne A. Warren Lower School Wing (1987), and The Lucie B. Warren Middle School Wing and Taylor Forum (1988).
1994-97: A new arts and academic wing encloses the historic Cookman Garden. Additional classrooms, a language lab, a larger gym, and enhanced library and art spaces are added.

1998: Mr. Coyle retires after 26 years; Peter Esty becomes the sixth head of school.
1998-1999: Peter Esty partners with Hoby and Sally Kreitler to establish Horizons at Greens Farms Academy.
2000: GFA celebrates its 75th anniversary.
2003: The Lower School is expanded, and the head of school house is built. Janet Hartwell becomes the seventh Head of School.
2006-07: The Upper School Science and Performing Arts wing is built, and classroom expansions follow, complete with Harkness Tables.

2009: A new turf field, tennis courts, and organic garden are added.
2015-17: The Janet Hartwell Performing Arts Center, McGrath Gallery, and Global Studies Center are completed (2015), followed by the squash facility (2016), and the softball/field hockey field and wrestling gym (2017).
2018: The Fitness Center is built, concluding the Lead with Excellence campaign. Janet Hartwell retires, and Bob Whelan is named the eighth head of school.

2019: New turf fields, a warm-up field, and half-track are constructed.
2020: The Upper School phases out Advanced Placement courses to better align with GFA’s mission and core values.
2021: The Board of Trustees approves Lives of Purpose, a new Strategic Direction to guide future growth and fundraising.

2023: The Lower School Dining and Student Commons is completed, and the Lower School Assembly Room is renovated.
2024: Construction begins on the Athletic & Wellness Center, and upgrades are made to the baseball field.
2025: GFA celebrates its Centennial year, complete with a Centennial Gala.
Read More!
Heads of School
Mary Bolton: 1925-1960
Kathleen Laycock: 1926-1963
Wiliam Posey: 1963-1964
Nancy Lauber: 1964-1972
Jim Coyle: 1972-1998
Peter Esty: 1998-2003
Janet Hartwell: 2003-2018
Bob Whelan: 2018-present