We look forward to getting to know you and your family, and hope to make the process as easy as possible for you.
The application process in the Lower School is a personalized one. We strive to get to know your family better through the admission process and in turn you will discover what makes GFA's Lower School so extraordinary. The first step is to reach out to our Director of Lower School Admission, Kim McElderry, to schedule your Parent Interview. Please refer to the "Other Application Information" below to read about the next steps needed to complete the application process.
Your child is at the heart of the Middle School admission process, which we hope will be a fun and exciting way to take that next step. After a preliminary interview, your child is invited to attend a morning class. Led by our student guides, this Shadow Day is a great way to get a feel for what it’s like to be a part of our family. Get started by contacting the Director of Middle School Admission Sherry Rago. Once you have completed the application and come for the interview, you can schedule your Shadow Day:
The interview is a great way for you and your child to get to know us better. Talking with a member of our Admission staff, you can learn more about the academic and extracurricular opportunities we offer. This is followed by a tour led by one of our student guides. Upper School applicants are also welcome to visit classes for a morning or afternoon
A developmental readiness assessment called the Gesell is administered one-on-one during the morning hours of Monday-Thursday from mid-November – January 12. Your child will meet with a faculty member for approximately 45 minutes while you are welcome to wait in the Admission Reception Room. In order to schedule the Gesell, you must submit Part 1 of the online Application. Click here to schedule an appointment through PickATime.
- If your child is an applicant to Pre-Kindergarten, your child will be assigned one of the following dates to the Pre-Kindergarten Play Day from 10:15-11:15AM. The dates are: Tuesday, January 9, Wednesday, January 10, or Thursday, January 11 (snow date of Friday, January 12). Your child will visit in the PreK classroom with several teachers and a small group of candidates. Parents are invited to stay for a coffee. The Admission office will send an email communicating the visit date that has been assigned to your child a couple of weeks before the observation screening.
- If your child is an applicant to Kindergarten, applicants will be assigned a time to attend the Kindergarten Play Day which are one hour sessions that run throughout the morning on Saturday, February 3 (snow date of Saturday, February 10). Your child will visit in a classroom with several teachers and a small group of candidates. Parents are invited to stay for a coffee. The Admission office will send an email communicating the visit time that has been assigned to your child a couple of weeks before the observation screening.
- All students applying for grades 1-4 are required to attend the Grades 1-4 Visit Morning on Saturday, January 20 (with a snow date of Saturday, January 27). The morning will run from 9-11:00AM and will consist of a classroom visit and assessment. The applicants will be in the classroom with other candidates applying to their grade level and will be working with our classroom teachers. The applicants will also take part in a morning meeting and group activities before beginning their assessment work in language arts and mathematical concepts.
- ISEE (Independent School Entrance Exam) is required and can be taken at GFA December 9, 2017 or January 6, 2018. All ISEE test results must be received by January 12, 2018. Register at www.iseetest.org. The SSAT will be accepted in lieu of the ISEE test for Grades 8-12.
- ISEE Testing Site Schedule
- GFA ISEE Code: 070915
- GFA SSAT Code: 3556
Refer to the GFA website for school delay/closing information.
Candidates for Grades 5–8 must submit an English or History writing sample from the current school year (the writing sample does not need to be graded). Candidates for Grades 9–12 must submit a teacher-graded English or History paper. Writing samples should be emailed to email@example.com.
Teacher Recommendation Forms
After November 1, email the Teacher Recommendation Form to the student's teacher(s). Instructions are available once you have set-up an account. Applicants for Grade Six may have the same teacher for both Math and English. This teacher should complete both forms. If the applicant is attending a school where teachers are not permitted to complete Recommendation Forms, at least one Extracurricular Recommendation Form must be submitted to: Greens Farms Academy, P.O. Box 998, Greens Farms, CT 06838.
Transcript and Transcript Release Form
After November 1, email the signed Transcript Release Form to the appropriate school administrator. This authorizes the school to send GFA an official transcript, copies of current grades, comments and any standardized test scores. Current fall grades and comments should be submitted when available to: Greens Farms Academy, P.O. Box 998, Greens Farms, CT 06838.